I took drama in middle school + I think it helped me come out of my shell. I collected a group of friends in high school who were the perfect mix of awkwardly tall/long, athletic, outgoing, smart, weird, artistic, stylish and funny-all the good things I saw in myself at the time-so they made me feel like I fit in. Then, as a young adult, I broke and went through some dark times and surely thought my heart had turned to stone. But, as years passed, I gave less + less fucks because hey, I am who I am. I can’t undo the past. I still have insecurities and low points. I still need improvement. But I’m confident in myself because I’m still here. My history doesn’t define my future. I’m resilient. My heart is beating and whole. I really really love me. And hey, if I don’t love myself, who’s gonna?
Anyway, I say all that to say I don’t think confidence can be taught. You just gotta go through some shit and stay true to yourself. I do really like this list though…
How to be More Confident
- Stop comparing. Stay focused on you.
- Relax. Go with the flow and don’t stress the little things.
- Love yourself. You are a gift. Nothing would be the same if you didn’t exist.
- Be positive and look for the good in every situation.
- Do what you love. Life is too short to waste your time doing anything otherwise.